Thursday 13 December 2007

Can I attract the London Opera?


In a previous post, I made a reference to the Law of Attraction. In a nutshell, this theory suggests that whatever you think of, you attract it. This can be the case for either things that you really want, or things that you don't want at all. I will illustrate this theory through an event that its final phase happened today.

The story starts back in September, when I decided to have a visit to UCL's Fresher's Fair. There I received a leaflet about the scheduled activities of UCL Student Union throughout the Year. Among them there was one in December that I didn't want to miss for anything, the Ballet of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker" at the London Opera House. The reasons were 3:

1) The Opera of London is a "must visit" place for a person who is considering himself cultured (for any comments on this, feel free to use the button "comments" at the end of the post:)
2) The Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker was the first cd I bought in 1996 (not that much because of my delicate taste in music, but because it was given for free with a magazine)
3) 15 for a London Opera performance is a special offer and I cannot resist to such offers.

So I decided to go.

But because I am the king o procrastination, I went to get the tickets in November. Result? They were sold out. After some msecs of self blaming I asked to put my name in a waiting list. "We don't have one, but we can create. But don't expect anything, since people have already bought the tickets and we don't plan to buy more"
- She convinced me that giving my name was something meaningless, but I did it.
-After a week I went again to the Union to ask for any cancellations or whatever. She couldn't even find the waiting list...
-2 days ago I went again to the Union for another reason, and I asked again an internal staff member for any chance to find a ticket. The answer was disheartening...
-Today I passed again outside the Union, and a thought crossed my mind "Today is the day of the Ballet, If only I could have a ticket..."

After 2 hours I received a phone call "Hello Mr Moustakas, are you still interested for a spare ticket for today's Ballet?"
I jumped from happiness, I went to buy the ticket, and in 3 hours I was sitting inside the Opera enjoying the Performance, which by the way rocked even if it was classical!

I don't know if this is something related to this New Age theory of the Law of Attraction, but it seems to follow its basic principle: "believe and you will receive, without the need to know how". An objection would be that all this is judged a posteriori, so what about if I wasn't lucky enough and I never received this ticket? Does this mean that the law of attraction doesn't work? This theory is also similar to Paolo Coehlo's Alchemist saying, that "believe in something and the whole Universe will make a conspiracy so that you will have it". Or even the saying of Jesus when he did his miracles, that "I didn't save you, but your own faith did".
So is it everything a matter of faith? How come this theory be supported from so many different sources? As for me, even if this is not true since it is not yet scientifically but somehow empirically proven, the least somebody can gain is practicing his faith. Because like anything in life, faith is a virtue that can be practiced. And then use it for anything he wants to achieve.
Believe it or not; it is a matter of faith anyway:)

No comments: