Wednesday 12 December 2007

Optimism vs Pessimism

I had an hour ago an interesting discussion with a Hungarian friend of mine, while eating in an underground Korean Videoclub-SuperMarket-Restaurant.

Bence: I am optimist.
Me: I used also to be . But somehow the last two years I think I am flirting with pessimism
Bence: I think it's a matter of rationalism. Using logic you can prove that things are not that bad.
Me: I think you are right.

Now I am back in my office, and I have an objection to this dialog. Maybe it's not a matter of rationalism, it's a matter of choice, and then of course exercise and stick on your choice. Why? I will explain with an example, which reminds me of a similar example given to an introductory course of the Silva method I attended 8 years ago.

Today I had a call from my mother, complaining that my brother was suffering in the army, because he had to stay awake 4.00 am to 6.00 am to assure that the dorms were secure from the enemy (...) (In greek: skopia) And she thought that he might catch a cold and suffer more. This is quite rational, though pessimistic. On the other hand she could have thought that by this way he was trained to be tough and to survive in his life under any circumstances. Both these thoughts are rational, but the first made her sad, while the second could have make her happy. This is in accordance actually to the cognitive behavioral technics, that suggest that our thoughs control our feelings, not the facts per se.

One might say that if we think about the worst case scenario, this could motivate us to take action in order to prevent something bad to happen. But in many cases, like the one above, we can do nothing to prevent it. So we choose to worry 100% for something with 1% probability to happen, that makes 99% of unrealistic worrying plus 1% of unhelpful worrying.

This is something that somehow many of us do, without realizing it, since we were trained to think so for many years. The first step would be to understand the situations where such thoughts take place. The second step would be an enormous effort to start thinking about the best case scenario even when things seem to be a disaster. It will be a self challenging task, but the result justifies the effort.

2 comments:

mouridis said...

I don't know if Bence realized how lucky he is. After your death, when your dialogs will be published, much like Plato's Dialogs, his name will be famous.
I mean who would know WTF Crito or Cratylus or Timaeus was if he hadn't chat with Plato sometime centuries ago.
And that my friend is called optimism for the afterlife.

I congratulate you for your new blog. I really enjoyed reading your philosophy related posts. They were a workout for my brain, and nowadays I find little content on the web that can actually make my brain burn calories.

So, thank you for helping me loose weight, you know I need that. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Please write in Greek, so I don't have to expose how ugly my english are in my comments.

dimitris said...

I don't think that anyone else could have made such a correlation with Plato, I have to introduce you to my supervisor; she is constantly looking for NITRO people (Never In The Right Order) to produce ideas.

And if you are in need of calories-burning content or just brain-burning content, I can provide you with tons of publications in my field which worked quite well for me.

I ll keep you updated