Tuesday 25 December 2007

London and "28 Days Later"


Do you remember the movie "28 Days Later"? I am sure it was shot on Christmas day. Why? I will tell you through a story.

Today I was invited by my ex-girlfriend to have a Christmas eve dinner with 2 more friends. I went, had a good time, and left. On the bus I realised that I took by mistake her cash card, don't ask me why. I found it very funny, and called her to ask for her pin number in order to buy myself a Christmas present offered by her, and I couldn't help laughing. Then we realised that my friend had also forgot his bag there. I continued laughing. And after 5 mins I realised that I forgot also the bag with the presents I bought for my family and my flatmates. Then I stopped laughing. (but after a minute I started again). I would leave for Greece in two days, so I had enough time to go and get them. But, had I?

Christmas day is the only day in this city that there is nothing working, and above all the transportation, not even rare bus routes. It is a strange feeling to realize how bounded we are with such fundamental things, like the freedom to move from one place to the other on demand, which we take for granted. I felt like being trapped in my house (well, it's not so dramatic, it's not the first time to stay at home for a day, but it is the first time I have no other choice).

It's not bad of course, since I think these people did it on purpose to let London relax for one day; I will call it striking. My family and friends will call it something like "Dimitri stop thinking these kind of stuff and find ways to improve your memory"

PS I am thinking to have the presents delivered by post to Greece (Btw I live in NW London and Vicky lives in SE - Greenwich)

No comments: