Monday 24 December 2007

A day in Google

Google is a fun place to be. Today I have experienced what makes its developers be so inspired; it's not actually a working place, it is a

1) playground: from video games till table football, full of inflated balls even "welcome" balloons for the newcomers.
2) 5 star restaurant: I had to stay for ages in front of the buffet applying some old-time-classic linear programming knowledge in order to maximize the pleasure of the chosen food, baring in mind the size limitations of the human stomach. Limitations regarding cost where relaxed, since everything was for free.
3) race track: I have ridden a Segway along with my friend who is working there, without any accidents while maneuvering through the workstations on the floor. I am lucky that my friend, Giorgos was not around to inform them about my charismatic talent to destroy any kind of hardware on my way.

It was fun, thanx Michele for the invitation!

3 comments:

mouridis said...

No need for Giorgos. I will gladly confirm the rumor.

You have a natural talent to destroy hardware, with or without your intention, through minimal & random interference with the hardware itself.

I remember one time, when with no intention to do damage, you pressed multiple keys simultaneously on my keyboard with your palms. I don't remember why you did that, but I remember the result of your action.

Somehow, you managed to open a console in windows, got the "format c:" command to appear, and pressed enter.

I remember me standing speechless, watching the "Are you sure?" prompt!

It surely was a shocking experience! Metaphysical too!

And for those of you out there thinking that I made up this story...well...think again!

dimitris said...

Niko to be honest I don't remember this unique moment in my life - maybe because it is one out of my numerous achievements in this kind of sport - but I have no reason to doubt:) This reminds me something that happened a year ago in Berlin;

I used the laptop of an italian friend, in order to upload some pics from my usb stick. I remembered she warning me "Be careful with my laptop, because for some reason you always create troubles" "Come on, what will happen this time, I will just upload my pics and that's all" I did it succesfully, and then I decided to delete the pictures. But why just delete them and not formating the disk, in order to ensure enhanced future performance? So I went to my computer, I right clicked to the volume, and selected "format". So simple. I just forgot to check what I was formating. And these bloody Windows have the same icons for all the disk volumes. You have probably realized that I was formating the C: drive of my friend. But the Windows developers were clever enough to prevent such kind of actions, and save a savvy but careless in the same time greek from an furious italian girl... Of course she never learned what happened...

Jakob said...

Google! I'm so jealous. Good for you!!! :)