Thursday 21 February 2008

eee


My prayers (and the prayers of many computer owners out there) were finally answered!

Some months ago the Asus eee was released. The first time I saw it was in the hands of a professor from Imperial College, during a project meeting at Cambridge back in December (ohhh what an honor- btw he was one of the professors who I contacted while searching for a PhD position in 2006, and he didn't even reply to my email; but he is cool and funny anyway:) This guy was excited about his new gadget, and my friend and flatmate, Michele, shared his excitement, wanting to buy one for himself also; but I told him it is too small and he would ruin his eyes (...). Then I saw it again at PC World near my university. In January I had a clearer mind; 7 inch laptop at the astonishing price of $299! the catch: no optical disk drive and a flash memory instead of hard disk drive, which constrains the memory to 2GB (also available in 4GB and 8GB for a bit higher price). This is bad, right? No! It's great news! this means that I can play squash with this machine without it getting hurt (ok, regarded I am not veeery cruel with it:) Moreover, I can also plug my new baby from Western Digital, which so far rocks; 250GB in your palm for just £80, and prices are dropping.

I will wait for the new model of 9 inch eee to be released with the 8GB memory, since I can still have my MacBookPro 3GH till April. Btw it is still alive, but for some reason I feel that I will return it to the University in a semi-dead semi-alive state, just like the Schroedinger's cat.

2 comments:

dimitris said...

I just found it in a bamboo version:

http://www.notebooks.com/2007/11/13/asus-ecobook-goes-green-with-bamboo-case/

cool!

dimitris said...

... it was the normal size laptop though :(
but it's cool anyway and it adds another dimension to the laptop production! I just love this 'why not?' approach